Rapture: Followers And Originators

When I have a hip hop or R&B record in my hands, I always look at the samples that are used. If the samples are good, the record must be good. That’s more or less my philosophy. I started to play around with this thought and tried to put the original (the sampled track) and the derivative (mostly hip hop) back to back. Some kind of history lesson, so to speak. It starts with the roots, of course. Enjoy!

Tracklist:

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash On The Wheels Of Steel (1981)
Chic – Good Times (1979)
Sugarhill Gang – Rapper’s Delight (1979)
Blondie – Rapture (1980)
Love Unlimited – Love’s Theme (1974)
O.M.D. – Dream Of Me (Based On Love's Theme) (1993)
Montell Jordan - I Like (1996)
KC & The Sunshine Band – I Get Lifted (1978)
Q-Tip – Won’t Trade (2008)
Ruby Andrews - You Made A Believer (Out Of Me) (1969)
Average White Band – School Boy Crush [Eddy’s Edit] (1975)
Erik B. & Rakim – Microphone Fiend (1988)
Ashanti – Feel So Good (2003)
Barry White - Playing Your Game, Baby (1977)
The Fatback Band – Baby I'm A Want You (1972)
Mos Def – Mathematics (1999)
Groove Armada – My Friend (2001)
The Fatback Band – Gotta Learn How To Dance (1975)
Blackstreet – No Diggity (1996)
Bill Withers – Grandma’s Hands (1971)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disco Knockouts!

Smooth Sailing On A Late Summer Night

Soft Rock For Autumn Days by The Smooth Operators