Professor Eddy’s Top 20 November 1980

Carlos Santisteban
Every Friday afternoon I used to make a personal hit list when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s. The top 20 of week 46 1980 I have listed here from 20 to 1. This is the first time this hit list is heard. At the time, I never thought that my personal chart would ever find an audience, so this is definitely a dream come true with a 42-year delay! 😊

Driver’s Seat by Sniff ‘n’ The Tears was first released in 1978 and reached number 15 on the American Billboard Hot 100 a year later. In the Netherlands it took another year to become a moderate chart success. The single proved to be a real slow burner, because it eventually went to number one in 1991, after being used in a car radio commercial. Fun fact is that the lyrics aren’t about driving. The song is about taking the driver’s seat, which means being in control, after a relationship, according to singer Paul Roberts. The first line is often misheard. The words are not “a little driving on a Saturday Night”, but “a little jiving on a Saturday Night”. This misconception led to a new interpretation of the lyrics and made it eventually a classic car song that everybody can sing along behind the wheel.


I hope you’ll enjoy this Mixcloud Exclusive as much as I did back in November 1980!

Tracklist:

George Benson – Give Me The Night
Eddy Grant – My Turn To Love You
Conny Vandenbos & Janis Ian – Don’t Leave Tonight
Matchbox – When You Ask About Love
Leo Sayer – Time Ran Out On You
The Korgis – Rovers Return
Randy Crawford – Same Old Story
France Gall – Il Jouait Du Piano Debout
Luv’ – My Number One
Randy Crawford – One Day I’ll Fly Away
Sniff ‘n’ The Tears –  Driver’s Seat
Eddie Rabbitt – Drivin’ My Life Away
Blondie – The Tide Is High
Patti Labelle – Release
Max 'N Specs – Don't Come Stoned And Don't Tell Trude!
Ray Goodman & Brown – My Prayer
Barbra Streisand – Woman In Love
Diana Ross – My Old Piano
Stephanie Mills – Never Knew Love Like This Before
Gary Fane – Aquarius

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disco Knockouts!

Smooth Sailing On A Late Summer Night

Soft Rock For Autumn Days by The Smooth Operators