Groovy Sexy & Soulful Part 67 Tonight's The Night

Aurélien Buttin

This episode of Groovy, Sexy and Soulful is inspired by ‘Tonight is the night’ from soul legend Betty Wright.

The opening track by Jamiroquai is from his excellent new album 'Automaton'. One of the other tracks that I selected is ‘I got my mind made up’ by funkateers Instant Funk on the infamous Salsoul label, which was founded by Philly vibe player Vincent Montana, Jr. He also led the Salsoul Orchestra. Their ‘Ooh I love it’ (‘Love break’) has been sampled in hip hop tracks, such as 50 Cent's ‘Candyshop’ and Eric B & Rakim's ‘Paid in Full’, but most notably in Madonna's ‘Vogue’. Claudja Barry’s irresistible ‘Love for the sake of love’ became well known when Montell Jordan borrowed heavily from it for his 'Get it on tonite'.

Au Dré
Following last year's release of their self-titled debut EP along with their follow-up single, 'Watch What You Say', Melbourne-based duo Au Dré, comprised of vocalist/trumpeter Audrey Powne and producer/keyboardist James Bowers, now return with their last offering called 'Lines' The song is a about the risk involved in taking a friendship to the next level. The soulful and energetic female lead vocals are matched by the bold and exciting production which throws back to 80s boogie and funk whilst capturing the swagger of contemporary R&B and hip hop from the likes of Anderson Paak and Kaytranada. 'Lines' also serves as the first single taken from Au Dré's forthcoming sophomore EP to be released later this year.

Speaking on the inspiration behind the track, Audrey says:

"I think everyone has one of those friendships which foundation is flirting. I found myself in that moment at a party, after a few drinks where I could sense a friendship might be about to turn into a more romantic encounter... which was simultaneously exciting and terrifying."

Thanks to Inger D. Millard for advising me about the Minnie Riperton track!

Tracklist:

Jamiroquai – Carla (2017)
Haywoode – Single Handed [Extended Version] (1983)
Au Dré – Lines (2017)
Minnie Riperton – Baby, This Love I Have [A Young Pulse Rework]
Marvin Gaye – Since I Had You (1976)
Instant Funk – I Got My Mind Made Up (1978)
Barbara Joyce – Do It Till You're Satisfied (1983)
Claudja Barry – Love For The Sake Of Love (1976)
Klein & M.B.O. – Dirty Talk (1982)
Salt 'N' Pepa – Push It (1988)
Salsoul Orchestra – Ooh, I Love It (Love Break) (1983)
Salsoul Invention – Follow Me Into The Car (1977)
Gwen McCrae – Lead Me On (1970)
Chef & Meatloaf – Tonight Is Right For Love [Eddy’s Edit] (1998)
Betty Wright – Tonight Is The Night (1974)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disco Knockouts!

Smooth Sailing On A Late Summer Night

Soft Rock For Autumn Days by The Smooth Operators