Daddy's Theme

The reason for this mix is a sad one. Exactly one year ago friends and family said goodbye to my good old dad after being ill for quite some time. To honour him I thought it was a good idea to compile ‘Daddy’s theme’: songs about dads and sons, but not about my father in particular, although he was a cool daddy, to paraphrase Boney M.

Some of the songs seem to deal with fathers, but the lyrics are in fact about something completely different, like the ones from Jim Gilstrap and George Michael. But not the one from Feargal Sharkey, former frontman of the legendary Irish new wave band The Undertones. I remember my father didn’t like the lyrics of the song at all, because he only picked up the line ‘never listen to your father’. He misinterpreted the lyrics though, because I believe Feargal Sharkey sings that it’s only wise to listen to your father. That’s why I included the song as the final track. It strikes me that there are quite some men in my album archive singing about their dads and only a few women. Do they prefer to sing about their mothers? I think so.

The song from The Classics, 'Papa Peppone', is a bit of a guilty pleasure, I have to admit. I like the guitar sound of it, it sounds really cool. It reminds me of Duane Eddy and Hank B. Marvin of the Shadows.

Tracklist:

Quincy Jones – Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag (1965)
James Brown – Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag (1965)
The Chi-Lites – Let Me Be The Man My Daddy Was (1969)
Steely Dan – Daddy Don't Live In That New York City No More (1975)
Ronnie McNeir – Daddy’s Coming Home (1972)
Fleetwood Mac – Oh Daddy (1977)
Cat Stevens – Father And Son (1970)
Harry Chapin – Cats In The Cradle (1974)
Alain Clark – Father And Friend (2007)
Chaka Khan – Father He Said (1981)
The Hollies – Daddy Don’t Mind (1976)
Irene Reid – Son Of A Preacher Man (1970)
The Bar-Kays – Son Of Shaft (1971)
Boney M. – Daddy Cool (1976)
George Michael – Father Figure (1987)
The Classics – Papa Peppone (1975)
Jim Gilstrap – Swing Your Daddy (1975)
The Temptations – Papa Was A Rollin' Stone [Solefull Remix] (2005)
Pigbag – Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag (1983)
Feargal Sharkey – Listen To Your Father (1984)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disco Knockouts!

Smooth Sailing On A Late Summer Night

Soft Rock For Autumn Days by The Smooth Operators