Smooth Sailing: Silky Soul & Groovy Disco

Joan Smalls on Instagram
It's hard to describe my dj-style, but I often call it 'funky chill'. I play relaxed dance music with its foundation in the 1970s and early 1980s. It's a combination of soul, disco, funk, jazz, folk, soft rock, AOR and all the genres in between. It's music I'd like to hear when I'd drive along the Dutch coast on a sunny day. But I don't have a car, I live far away from the sea and it's raining most of the time in Holland, so I don't think that is a very good description... Perhaps I should say: this is the music that makes me happy, a collection of chilled out tunes for fellows over 40. These are songs for girls and guys who like to nod their heads to the beat in stead of nervously moving their legs...

On Wax Poetics singer Ed Motta has this to say about 'Let's be friends' by Marilyn Scott:

"Yellow Jacket’s Russell Ferrante wrote and arranged this classy AOR soul in a Norman Connors vein for the great singer Marilyn Scott’s debut album. I love everything on this track—what a composition, so well constructed. Composition is kinda lost nowadays. There’s still good young musicians and arrangers, but composition…dunno why I don’t see it anymore."

Minnie Ripterton's classic 'Lovin' you' is about her daughter, actress Maya Rudolph (Bridesmaids). At the end of the song she repeatedly sings 'Maya, Maya, Maya'. Enjoy this new part of Smooth Sailing!

Tracklist:

Lowrell – Smooth And Wild (1978)
Minnie Riperton – Loving You (1975)
Jonathan Jeremiah – Arms (2015)
Michael Franks – When You Smiled At Me (1999)
Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly ‎– Silky Soul (1989)
The Stylistics – Smooth (1978)
John Stewart & Stevie Nicks – Gold (1979)
Dick St. Nicklaus – Born To Love You (1979)
Debra Laws – Meant For You (1981)
Andrew Gold – Genevieve (1978)
Marty Balin – Hearts (1981)
Little River Band – Happy Anniversary (1977)
Crackin' – Double Love (1978)
Adrian Gurvitz – Borrowed Beauty (1980)
Steely Dan – Night By Night (1974)
Marilyn Scott ‎– Let's Be Friends (1979)
John Valenti ‎– I Won't Change (1991)
Carole Bayer Sager – I Don't Wanna Dance No More (1978)
Lyn Christopher – Take Me With You [Dribbler Re-Drum Edit] (1973)
Sailors – Feels So Good (2015)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disco Knockouts!

Smooth Sailing On A Late Summer Night

Soft Rock For Autumn Days by The Smooth Operators